Monday, March 06, 2006

Two Wheels Good

That was the title of some 80's band's album. Can't remember the name - the song 'When Love Breaks Down' was on it maybe ? Anyways got back on the [road] bike this past week - the first time since October. Lungs felt pretty good with all the Nordic I've been doing. Did a short ride at noon some day during the week, going in a new direction, down China Hat Road. First 15 minutes all urban - traffic, noise, subdivisions - then all of a sudden I'm away from it all amidst old growth trees on a gently contouring road. The sky darkens a bit and sporadic snow flakes are falling. Every now and then it squalls out to a mini-blizzard, but still not accumulating. Up ahead, movement on the road : 3 white-tails see me approaching and bound off through the woods. Check watch - time to turn around. See sign on the way back : "Entering Deschutes National Forest" - so that explains the transition. Hope it lasts - I heard Bush is trying to sell off parcels of forest land.

I opt for a long endurance ride on Saturday, which ends up being 3.5 hours. Sure, lungs felt great, but the rest of my body is wrecked - cramped neck and arms, sore calves and Achilles, numb chode, and just general wastedness. So I guess another ride is out for Sunday - went skate skiing instead for 2.5 hours. I'm used to doing that, shouldn't be a problem...? Well it got compounded by the cycling, so I was even a bigger mess Sunday night. And I was feeling - how shall I put it - gastronomically challenged (yes with accompanying odour track). And today went to the gym to get the blood flowing, but my body was basically a wet noodle from the waist down. So this schedule is in need of some adjustment - maybe less endurance and more beer ?