Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chasing the Ghost

A summer evening's solo ride, and in the shadows of the twisty descent, a flicker of light did catch my eye. Somewhere on the trail ahead, amongst the silent stalking pines, a flash of white then quickly gone. A trick of the light, a peripheral aberration ? But no, I'd seen this ethereal presence before, no stranger to me this shadow - with mocking lightness he effortlessly appears and flits away, and dares me to follow. Still I denied it, and returned to the dull singular purpose of driving forward, all-focused on speed and reaction and tunnel vision. But then again I see it - no longer any doubt - the Ghost shows himself once more. The Spectre has appeared oft of late, and now I know his name : Fleeting Youth - yes the wellspring of ageless denial is now starting to run dry. No longer can I ignore the signs - the Ghost prances away carelessly, and my dry attempts at pursuit no longer bear fruit. He eludes me frequently now, this vision of eternal energy. Yet there's something in this admission, some wisdom in the acknowledgement...perhaps letting go is the path to enlightenment. We shall see...

No comments: